"Where the lighting is poor, and the service is worse."
PROHABITION ENDS AT LAST
About the Gable Inn
Built in 1873, the three story brick structure located at 14 Port Watson street, Cortland, New York, would have many occupants over the next one hundred forty-four years of it's existence.
Originally part of the Cortland Foundry & Machine Works complex, Chamberlin & Smith's, ''New Brick Block", as it was known, housed the Cortland Hardware Co.
In 1887 diverse use of the building enters the scene when Eleazer Dodge's liquor dealership first shares occupancy of the building and maintains a presence through 1889. In 1890, Dennis G. Cronis conducts a wholesale - retail cigar business in the building. W. B. Madden operates the liquor store from 1891-1892 and is follewed by G. McKean. 1893 shows the Ellis Brothers, cigar manufacturers, to occupy the building and the following year, 1894, James Kelley & Co., manufacturers of Havana and domestic cigars, occupies the major portion of the building while the Cortland Drug Co. manufactures cough drops in the building's rear portion.
Historic records list the building's occupants as follows:
James Kelley & Co. - Cigar manufacturer
E. C. Mott - Grocer
The Salvation Army
The Specialty Co. - Manufacturers of carriage Hardware
Mary Quin Cigar Manufacturer; Mary Quinn is the daughter of James Kelley and successor The James Kelley & Co.
Mary Quin Cigar manufacturer
The Salvation Army
New York Family liquor store
The Salvation Army
Ekenberg Milk Products Co. comes into being at this address. (The portion of the building it occupied is unknown to me.)
President - F. H. Cobb
Vice President - C. Werngren
Treasurer - L. Bennett
Secretary - H. L. Smith
This company later moved near the Lehigh Valley - Erie Lackawanna rail junction off Pendleton Street now part of Contento
The city directory lists three occupants for the building.
Fran Cerio - Grocer
Samuel Caito - Confectioned
Torbert Otto - Furniture dealer
The building first becomes a residential structure when the Fabrizio Brothers open their Hotel Venice.
Local fiddler, recording artist, and conservation advocate John McDermott takes over the premises and changes it’s name to the Leland Hotel.
John McDermott continues to occupy the entire building as the Leland Hotel.
The Cayuga Motor Sales Co. occupies the first floor with their Hupmobile dealership.
John McDermott continues to rent the rooms in the buildings upper stories, while Maurice Seigler operates a wholesale fruit and produce business on the ground floor, under the name of the Syracuse Produce Co.
The city directory list the following occupants:
John McDermott - Rooms
Maurice Seigler - Syracuse Produce Co.
Merton Seager - Trucking
The Leland Hotel occupies the entire building.
1935 Henry Calkins Holds the liquor license 1938 Robert Roth Holds the liquor license 1941 Fred Tanner Holds the liquor license 1948 John McDermott Holds the liquor license
Mary McDermott, a niece and administratrix of John McDermott’s estate, sells the 14 Port Watson street property to Josheph Kraus, whose son-in-law continues to operate the business under the name Leland Hotel.
The property is leased with an option to buy to Donald Morton in the summer of this year. Donald Morton and Thomas Leahey form a partnership where by Donald Morton furnishes the building and Thomas Leahy provides the management of the business.
The facility continues to operate under the name Leland Hotel until 1967 when the name is changed to the Gable Inn.
Thomas Leahy, no longer wishing to stay in the business, disolves partnership with Donald Morton. In October of this year John Morton, Donald’s son, assumes management of the business.
The business continues under the same name and management.
(We fry in peanut oil)
HOFMANN FRANK - $3.75
BALL PARK FRANKS - $2.50
JALAPEnO FRANKS - $2.50
CHICKEN TENDERS - $5.75
FISH SANDWICH - $4.75
FRESH CUT FRIES - $2.75